Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

About Us

Content Begin



Lands acknowledges the right of clients and the general public to provide feedback (negative or positive) relating to its products or services.

Feedback includes complaints, compliments, suggestions or enquiries about a particular service, experience or event. It may involve a specific contact with Lands.

Complaints, compliments, suggestions and enquiries are the most immediate and effective forms of feedback that will assist efforts to improve our service. Lands would also like to acknowledge staff members who are providing excellent service.

What is a compliment?

A compliment is an expression of satisfaction about Lands staff or services on a specific occasion or relating to a particular matter. A compliment may also be in relation to a general feeling of satisfaction with Lands due to your experience over a period of time.


What is a complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction or concern made to the department by a client, member of the public or group and relates to our services and products where a response or resolution is expected. A complaint can also relate to the way a complaint is being handled by the department.

A complaint is not a request for information or a disagreement with a decision that has a formal avenue of appeal or review.


How much will it cost to lodge a complaint?

There is no charge for either lodging a complaint or for any of the services that are used to assist you in lodging a complaint.


What information do I need to provide?

To help Lands respond quickly and effectively to complaints, complainants will be asked to:

  • Provide as many specific details as possible about their situation and any action that has been taken to try to resolve the issues. Information that may be helpful includes letters or other correspondence that have been received or sent, names of staff members and dates when contact was made with Lands, details of discussions with staff or advocates, or any applications that have been lodged or services that have been used.
  • Tell Lands what you would like done to successfully resolve the matter. It is not always possible to resolve the issues central to a complaint but the information provided will be taken seriously. In some instances it may be beyond the capacity or mandate of the department to resolve the issues related to the complaint but they will be considered in accordance with this policy. Notwithstanding this, complaints provide a useful source of feedback on how systems and processes work in practice and they can assist us to continuously improve.
  • If you wish to provide a compliment, you will need to give the individual staff member's name, and details related to the service they provided.


What to expect from making a complaint

A complainant can expect the following:

  • To be treated with courtesy and consideration.
  • To be given relevant information concerning the complaints process, including updates on the progress of any assessment or investigation of the complaint and the outcome.
  • All complaints will be assessed or investigated thoroughly and without prejudice.
  • The complainant will have the right to be heard and any written submissions provided will be considered.
  • Matters not relevant to the complaint will not be taken into account.
  • Vexatious complaints will not be considered.
  • The nominated person(s) making the decision in regards to a complaint will be fair and just.
  • Advice is provided on the outcome of the complaint.


What are my responsibilities?

When specifically lodging a complaint your responsibilities include:

  • That you will treat the staff handling your complaint with courtesy whilst acknowledging that they will be attending to your complaint through an established complaints handling process.
  • You will provide information where possible that will assist in the proper handling of your complaint to the department when requested.



Lands is committed to dealing with complaints quickly and effectively and will strive to address all complaints within 10 working days of receipt of the complaint. Should a response to your complaint take longer than this, the department will keep you informed of the progress. If it is considered appropriate, you may also be given advice on your ability to also raise the complaint with other appropriate government agencies.


What if you are not satisfied with DoL's response to your complaint?

A complainant who is not satisfied by the process or resolution of the complaint may request an internal review. The request should be made in writing to:

Office of the Director General
Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage
PO Box 1221

If you are still not satisfied, you may refer the matter for external review. If you wish to take your complaint outside of the department (external review), please contact the Ombudsman Western Australia by telephoning (08) 9220 7555 or 1800 117 000 (country and interstate free call).


Public Interest Disclosure (PID)


The Public Interest Disclosure Act 2003 came into effect on 1 July 2003. The Act facilitates the disclosure of public interest information by providing protection for those who make disclosures and those who are the subject of disclosures.

A public interest disclosure is made when a person discloses to a proper authority information that tends to show past, present or proposed future improper conduct by a public body in the exercise of public functions.  In order to be a disclosure to which the Act applies, a disclosure must be:

  • made by an informant who believes on reasonable grounds that the information is or may be true;
  • a disclosure of public interest information; and
  • made to the appropriate proper authority.

The Act deals with disclosures made by anyone (not just Governance employees) but the information must be specific to the following areas:

  • Improper conduct
  • Irregular or unauthorised use of public resources
  • An offence under State law, including corruption
  • Substantial unauthorised or irregular use of, or substantial mismanagement of, public resources
  • Administration matter(s)
  • Conduct involving a substantial and specific risk of injury to public health, prejudice to public safety or harm to the environment

If your information falls outside of the above areas then you may still be able to make a complaint to a public authority, but this will not be a public interest disclosure under the Act.

Before making a disclosure it is important that you are aware of the rights and responsibilities imposed on informants and others under the Act. These are:

  1. it is an offence to make a disclosure if you know, or are reckless about, it being false and misleading.
  2. with some exceptions, the public authority will investigate your information and in doing so you will be expected to cooperate; and
  3. you will have to keep your information confidential – or you may lose protection under the Act and may commit an offence under the Act

The Act only confers protection where a disclosure is made to an appropriate proper authority.  The identity of the appropriate proper authority will vary according to the kind of information to be disclosed.

The department's PID Officers are responsible for receiving disclosures of public interest information relating to matters falling within the sphere of responsibility of the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage.

To contact a PID Officer for the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage, please call 6551 8002 (between 8:30am and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday) and ask to speak to a PID Officer.

Further information about the legislation and how to make a disclosure is available from the Public Sector Commission website or contact the Public Sector Commission's Advisory line on 1800 676 607 (metro and country callers).






To provide feedback, make an enquiry or lodge a complaint please email